Global Internship Program (GIP): Funding-Only Application (Round #2)
Applications for Funding-Only Round #2 will open on January 11, 2018.
What It Is:
The Funding-Only component of the Global Internship Program (GIP) provides scholarships to students who have secured their own internship or research opportunity abroad for the summer. Award amounts will vary based on the following criteria: program length, program location, student need, and student merit. Applicants must have already been offered an internship or research placement abroad that is 8-12 weeks duration in order to qualify. Please note that funding of any amount is not guaranteed to all Funding-Only applicants.
All GIP applicants must be:
- Full-time degree-seeking students at the University of Pennsylvania
- Returning to campus as enrolled students for the Fall semester following the summer internship abroad (i.e. no graduating seniors or single year graduate students)
- In good academic and disciplinary standing
All internship or research opportunities must:
- Take place in a country outside the U.S.
- Take place during summer break
- Internship time abroad must be at least 8 weeks in duration
Students may not apply to both a typical GIP placement AND funding-only at the same time, as applying for funding-only means you have committed to a global internship over the summer. Students who applied to a GIP placement but were not offered a placement may
apply to funding-only.
Please Note: Students who have participated in the GIP or IIP program in the past OR who accepted a placement through this program in the past but then withdrew are not eligible to apply again.
How To Apply:
Students must submit the following in order to apply for funding:
- Proof that you have been offered and have committed to an internship or research opportunity that: takes place abroad, takes place during summer break, and is at least 8 weeks in duration (you may upload a confirmation email from a supervisor, a screenshot, etc.)
- An estimated budget as to how much you expect the experience might cost you. Please be as specific as possible and include things like: international airfare, housing/accommodation, meals, local transportation, visa expenses, vaccinations, personal spending, etc.
- A response to our short answer question asking you to speak to the location of the internship/research placement, the length, your need, and your individual qualifications and merit. This will help us determine funding amounts.
To begin your funding-only application and to submit these required application items, click the "Apply Now" button above.
Deadlines & Important Dates:
In order to complete the Funding-Only application, you must have already received an internship offer abroad.
January 11, 2018: Funding-Only applications open
April 1, 2018: Funding-Only Applications close
Funding-only round #2 decisions will be released on a rolling basis beginning March 1, 2018. Please note that earlier applicants will have a higher probability of receiving an award, as funds will be awarded on an ongoing basis until depleted.
Once a funding decision is released, students will have two weeks to notify Penn Abroad if they are accepting or rejecting their award.